Manish Malhotra reflects on 30 years of friendship with Karan Johar: “We both loved films. That’s how we got close”

0

Fashion designer Manish Malhotra reflected on his 30-year friendship with director Karan Johar, which began when they worked together on Aditya Chopra’s Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge. At the time, Karan was an assistant director, and Manish was the costume designer. Manish fondly recalled their bond and acknowledged the challenges of working professionally with a close friend. He also addressed Karan’s claim about their one professional spat, where they ended up throwing lehengas at each other.

Appearing on the We Are Yuvaa YouTube channel, Manish said, “I’ll tell you how I met him. Sridevi called me for Gumrah, which was produced by Yash Johar ji, and on set was where I met Karan. And then, whenever I used to call Yash ji with questions, Karan would pick up the phone. I would just say, ‘Can I speak with Yash ji?’ One day, he just told me, ‘You never say hi’. And I said, ‘Oh, I’m so sorry. Hi Karan, how are you, can I speak to Yash ji’. So it became like that. And then I met him a couple of times on set, and one night we decided to go out for dinner, and we chatted at that time. That’s how we became friends.”

Manish stated that this occurred in 1993. When asked what drew him to Karan, he replied, “Karan was very interested in clothes. He was very interested in what I do, designing for movies. We both loved films. That’s how we got close. And then Duplicate was being made, and I was doing Juhi Chawla’s clothes, and I remember he was interfering in the clothes. And I was like, ‘Why are you interfering in the clothes? You’re just the producer’s son’.”

Described Karan as a ‘very warm’ person, Manish continued, “He makes the effort. Through him, I met Aditya Chopra. I’m grateful to Karan for that. Dilwale happened through him. Our relationship is honest.” Manish said that in addition to being friends, they’ve also worked together, which isn’t always easy to do. “That’s a difficult thing. For friends to work together for that many years, it’s very rare. Because Karan is Karan Johar, and not a lot of people would be comfortable telling him if something doesn’t work.”

When asked about a story provided by Karan himself, when they ‘had a pillow battle with a lehenga’ during their one argument, Manish said with a laugh, “No, we didn’t throw the lehenga at each other. Not at all! He’s just exaggerating. So, basically, I took this lehenga very excitedly to his office, and he looked at it and said, ‘This I don’t like’. I was personally hurt. My face started going red. I was very upset. And I just walked out from the office. I might have banged the lehenga on the table.” This incident happened over the song “Suraj Hua Maddham,” from the film Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham.

Also Read : Khloe Kardashian praises Manish Malhotra for ‘stunning outfits’ after controversial ‘local designer’ comment

The post Manish Malhotra reflects on 30 years of friendship with Karan Johar: “We both loved films. That’s how we got close” appeared first on Bollywood Hungama.



from Bollywood Hungama https://ift.tt/MfQwAqg

Post a Comment

0Comments
Post a Comment (0)